Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

After a cute review on Anna Reads' blog, I knew I had to reading Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt.




When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club presient–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.

Between the title, the cover, and the description, I was hooked. I knew I would like the book, and I finished it within 24 hours of starting it. There are some books that I think would have been helpful to my high school self - some helpful lesson that would have helped with anything that went wrong in high school. For those books, I put yellow post-its (the cheap brand, of course) all over the book, and I scribble on the post-its, and I write some notes in my notebook and everything. 

Here are some favorite quotes from the book:


"I don't have a thing. How can I not have a thing? I've tried a million things, but nothing I can claim. Nothing that I"m good at, nothing that's mine. I am a thingless chunk of tofu. This is why Jeremy went elsewhere."

That quote is from Mallory, the main character who discovered her boyfriend had been online cheating. I think that this is an issue that might seem silly to some, but it's actually very important, especially for teenagers who aren't real sure of their self-worth. Cyber cheating is emotional cheating, and it can often be worse than physical cheating.

Another good line:


"Adolescence is the same tragedy being performed again and again. The only things that change are the stage props."

I really enjoyed this book, and I'm pretty grateful my library purchased it so quickly after I requested it! I sure wear out that "purchase request" link :) 

3 comments:

  1. What is this "purchase request" link you speak of??? I wonder, do all libraries do this?? : ) I will be check to see if my library does!

    I really wanna read this book, btw. I've read mixed reviews, but overall the buzz is positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really cute book, and an easy read. Sometimes you need one of those to break up the heavy ones, you know?

    And yes! On the login page for my library it says "purchase request" and you enter in the details and then they decide whether or not to order a book! They've said no to some, but they've also ordered a lot - I can't imagine how much money they've saved me! If you don't see anything on your library's homepage, try asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so good! I love lists, and I love the idea that she goes without technology for a while! And I love the quotes you included! Great review!

    ReplyDelete