Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Aprilynne Pike's "Life After Theft"

 photo IMG_1464_zps736329aa.jpg

Hi! Sorry about that brief break in blogposts. As always I've been reading a lot (but a tiny bit less than usual) and I've read 60 books so far this year! Which is pretty awesome, but there are hundreds of books on my to be read list, and I haven't added that many lately because a girl can only read so much!! 

So I finally read the ARC I won from Epic Reads of Aprilynne Pike's Life After Theft and I am pleased to say I enjoyed it! 

Here's the description from Goodreads:


Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto. 
No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.
Clash meets sass in this uproarious modern-day retelling of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Let's start with the cover - I love it! I love the picture, I love the font, I love the reflection of the beach in (presumably Kimberlee's) the sunglasses. The spine actually shows a little bit of a wave as it rolls up the sand. Also, the back says (because it's an ARC) "Ages 13 up / Grades 8 up" so I'm glad to see that at 36 I meet those qualifications ;D 

The description mentions Kimberlee and Jeff, and I was a little confused when I started reading the book because it's from Jeff's POV and I assumed it would be from Kimberlee's POV. Also, I will very likely read the prequel, One Day More, because it is from Kimberlee's POV, and I think that it's probably helpful for getting a better understanding of her character. 

Jeff is a really nice guy. Too nice. I'm not sure teenage boys like that really exist, but it's always nice to pretend! His parents? Rich and understanding! The cops? Overly lenient! But. All in all a good read, with a well developed protagonist, and an (at least to me) original idea. 

Here's a review with a bit of a different angle from mine from my friend, Book and Cat Librarian.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa I thought the book would be from her perspective. But that's cool, because I love reading guys' perspectives. Also, I think the same thing when I read books about really nice teen boys. Do they exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking I should have called my blog "super short reviews" or something...

    And right? The nice teen boys I knew weren't hot and the girls didn't really like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 60 books so far? That's amazing! I'm a super slow reader so I'm at 24 so far.

    And yeah, I figured it was from her POV, too, so that cover is definitely misleading. But that's okay, I like male POVs! :)

    ReplyDelete