Friday, June 28, 2013

Jennifer E. Smith's "This is What Happy Looks Like"

I read Ms. Smith's first book, "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight" because the cover was adorable. Of course. This worked out well for me because I really enjoyed the book. When I saw that "This is What Happy Looks Like" was coming out, I immediately knew I had to read it and I hoped it would be as enjoyable as "TSPOLAFS" (haha, that's not exactly abbreviated...).




It was better.



This book. I really love it. I love the characters, I love the setting (woo, Maine!), I love the story. There is nothing about this book I don't love. I marked the pages I like with post it notes, and there are so many that I think I'm going to have to buy my own copy. 




From Goodreads:

If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds. 

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs? 


Pet pig? Teenage movie star? Small town girl? Yes please! I usually don't go into detailed reviews because I don't know what to say without spoiling anything.The female lead, Ellie, is kind and so likable. Graham is a pretty perfect selfless boy. This time I don't know what to say because I can't adequately convey how much I love this book. So instead, some quotes.


“Childhood memories were like airplane luggage; no matter how far you were traveling or how long you needed them to last, you were only ever allowed two bags. And while those bags might hold a few hazy recollections—a diner with a jukebox at the table, being pushed on a swing set, the way it felt to be picked up and spun around—it didn’t seem enough to last a whole lifetime.” 


“It was exactly as he’d thought it would be, like the first time and the millionth time all at once, like being wide awake, like losing his balance. Only this time, it wasn’t just him; this time, they were losing their balance together.” 


“Maybe growing up was really nothing more than growing away: from your old life, from your old self, from all those things that kept you tethered to your past.”




2 comments:

  1. OK, I so need to read this! Haha I like the Post Its. Oh, so Forever Young Adult had a contest where they wanted you to summarize a book based on the cover, and I used this book. Once I read the book, I'll be making a post with this summary that I wrote as well:

    "In a small, quiet, West Virginian town, there is an urban legend about a water creature named Happy. There have been a couple different descriptions of Happy's appearance, but what they all have in common is the carved, jagged, bloody smile on his face. It is said that when a young couple rows a boat to the center of the lake and french kisses three times, Happy emerges from the water and murders the lovers. In order for people to know that Happy exists, there must have been survivors, right? Brother and sister, Buck and Luck, decide to take the gamble. Will they meet their doom, or will they survive and find that love conquers all obstacles?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Does that mean you didn't read her other book either?

    ReplyDelete