Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sarah Dessen's "The Moon and More"

About two years ago, I discovered Sarah Dessen and proceeded to read all of her books. They're all good fun YA reading with some important-to-teen-issues mixed in. My three favorites were "Along for the Ride" (divorced parents and adapting to a stepparent), "Someone Like You" (the loss of a loved one and teen pregnancy), and "Lock and Key" (learning to trust). When I heard that she was working on a brand new book, I was so excited! 


From Goodreads:

Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer.

I read a few less than favorable reviews, so I was a little worried that I would be let down after waiting so long, but I wasn't. While I felt that sometimes this book was just a bunch of deep thoughts strung together, Sarah really does a great job of looking at the world around us and encapsulating the feelings/memories of our teenage years.

Just a few of the many quotes and ideas I marked in the book: 

"In Colby I found that people either wanted to stay forever (and usually did) or couldn't wait to get gone and never look back (ditto)." I like this one because that's definitely how my hometown was - you either wanted to stay and stayed, or you wanted more, and got out and went for it.

"It was one of those hot summer nights, with a breeze that didn't even come close to cooling you off, even when it hit you right in the face." This one proves, all by itself, that Sarah is from NC. On Pinterest, my New England friends are always pinning these summer outfits that come with a hoodie or whatever for night time, but in NC, night time doesn't mean a nice cool down, it just means it's dark AND hot. 

"What was it about suspecting someone was deliberately not answering that made you that much more desperate to reach them?" So true! 

I bought a special edition of the book that came with a signed book, a signed bookplate (which I put in the front of the book - overkill? I should have put it in one of my unsigned Sarah books:), this cute Colby sticker (I'm trying to decide if I should put it on my car), and a cute key necklace, which doesn't go with The Moon and More, but is perfect since I enjoyed her book "Lock and Key." 


No comments:

Post a Comment