Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chelsea Cameron's "Deeper We Fall" and "My Favorite Mistake"

Sorry for the break in blogging! Summer finally really hit and so I've had a migraine for about a week and a half, with tiny pain free breaks that I use to clean or cook or whatever.

More books that take place in Maine, yes! I am a Connecticut girl by birth, but I have adopted Maine as my home state, which is cool because I'm a 5th generation Mainer or whatever. The two books in this post are NA books by Chelsea Cameron, who is not only a Mainer/Mainiac/whatevs, but a vegetarian (which appeals to me, since I'm a vegan). 

I found this first book, "Deeper We Fall," on Netgalley and, as per my usual, I loved the cover. The blue, the way the script wraps around the hands - good stuff. 



From Goodreads:

Two years after her best friend was involved in a car accident that caused a traumatic brain injury, Lottie Anders is ready to start her freshman year of college. Ready to move on. Ready to start forgetting the night that ripped her life apart.

Her plans come to a screeching halt when not one, but both brothers responsible for the accident end up back in her life again.

Zack is cruel, selfish and constantly rubbing what happened to her friend in Lottie's face. 

Zan is different. He listens to her awkward ramblings. He loves "To Kill a Mockingbird" as much as she does, and his dark eyes are irresistible. His words are few and far between, but when he does speak, she can't help but listen. 

The trouble is, Zan was the driver in the accident, and now Lottie's discovered he lied to her about what happened that night. Now she must decide if trusting him again will lead to real forgiveness, or deeper heartache.

First things first. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that Chelsea likes the show "Roswell," because hello, Zan? Ha! Love it. This was a pretty good book! It's always a relief when an NA book is good, because there are definitely some out there that think "oh, this book has sexy times, so it doesn't need to be good or original." We need more than sexy times! 

One of the things I liked in this book happens early on - there's a car accident (that's not the part I like!), and the kids are injured because they are stupid and not wearing their seat belts. There are so many car accidents with teens who are injured and killed because they aren't wearing their seat belts. WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT. Maybe at least one kid will read this book for the sexy times and will then wear their seat belt and be safer.

This book starts in the past and moves back into the present fairly quickly. Lottie (whose best friend was severely injured in the car accident) goes away to school and discovers that the brothers who are responsible for the car accident are not only at the same college as her, but they're in the same dorm. Thankfully, her brother and his gay best friend are in the same dorm as well. Drama ensues! It's a good read. 

Some good quotes:

My word explosion was met with a stunned silence.

"Books?" She said the word as if she'd never heard of them before. "Don't you already have a bunch of books?" What kind of a question was that? We were college students. And whoever heard of having too many books? Damn, I was losing big in the Roommate Roulette.

Charlotte didn't just shake my world. She created an earthquake that irrevocably changed the landscape of my life.




I enjoyed reading "Deeper We Fall" so much that I went back to try and see if I could get the sequel! It wasn't available but this book, "My Favorite Mistake" was!

From Goodreads:

Two secrets. One bet. Who will break first?

Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him.

On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she either truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment;and leave her alone.

But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.

This book has a rough start. It's one of those books where there's instant sexual attraction, and the guy's a jerk, and you wonder why on earth the girl is even remotely interested. 

Taylor and her two female friends are sharing a dorm room (suite) at college. When their 4th roommate backs out at the last minute, a male roomie shows up at their door. He's all "If you can prove to me that you love me, absolutely love me, I'll leave" - what? That happens right in the beginning! Aside from the rough start, it's a nice read - not too believable in terms of the relationship that evolves, but it's an enjoyable read - sort of a modern day fairytale. 

"Taylor, we can what-if ourselves to death, but it won't do anything. The only thing we can do is keep moving, even when it feels like you're walking through a pit of cement."

Both of these books had mild issues but I still enjoyed reading them, and I'll definitely read more of Chelsea's books!

Based upon the last quote I gave, and the fact that Hunter likes The Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20 (I love you Rob Thomas), I think the following makes for a good song choice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment