Monday, July 15, 2013

Rainbow Rowell's "Attachments"

I finished this book, "Attachments" by Rainbow Rowell, a week or so ago and I've had it sitting next to my computer ever since while I try to figure out how to review it. I give up. This book is so good. I love it, I stuck a million post its in it, and I'm going to have to buy my own copy.



This book is a series of emails between friends Beth and Jennifer at the newspaper where they work. Alternating chapters are about Lincoln, the IT guy tasked with reading the emails that are flagged by the system. Beth and Jennifer's emails end up in his folder of emails to read a lot, and so he reads a lot of emails between the two, and he comes to care for the friends.

I can't adequately describe the awesomeness of this book, so really, I'm not even trying. There are deep moments of examining the purpose in one's life -

"It's just that getting paid to do nothing is a constant reminder that I'm doing nothing," Lincoln said. "And doing nothing takes more energy than you think. I'm tired all the time."

and there are subtle and awesome pop culture references (let me know when you find the awesome Field of Dreams reference!

So just go, go read it.

1 comment: