Friday, August 30, 2013

Amy Tintera's "Reboot"


From the moment the lovely and funny Epic Reads ladies, Margot and Aubry, held up a copy of Amy Tintera's "Reboot," I knew I had to read it. That perfect simple cover is a winner in my book. And the catchy teaser on the cover! 

From Goodreads:

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.

There are a lot of dystopian books out there these days and I enjoy reading most of them, but some are too dark for me (I was really enjoying Ilsa Bick's "Ashes" but had to stop because there's a kid in there about my daughter's age, and watching her have issues in a bleak dystopian world was really hard for me) and some sound so much alike. Luckily for me, this book was interesting and light (despite the origin of the KDH disease in the book being from Kill Devil Hills, NC, a town only 4 hours away from me), and I went through it fairly quickly. I found the relationship between Callum and Wren to be sweet and realistic and I could see the two of them really well. 

If you like dystopian books, give this one a try! I can't wait for the second book in the series. 

I'm not sure why, but for some reason, whenever I try to figure out which song belongs, I feel that it must be Default by Django Django. Whatevs. 




No comments:

Post a Comment