Saturday, August 24, 2013

Holly Black's "The Curse Workers: White Cat"

In the YA world, I've heard some buzz surrounding Holly Black, so when I saw a copy of "White Cat" at the library, I grabbed it and brought it home. 




As I read the description, I began to doubt my choice - it just sounded really odd - but I read it anyway, and I was very pleasantly surprised!

From Goodreads:

Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.

Not only was this book original, but it was well written and enjoyable. It wasn't very kissy, which I would usually mind, but I didn't mind at all in this book.

"The easiest lies to tell are the ones you want to be true.

"Now that I've started touching her, I can't seem to stop. Like somehow the language of my hands will tell her all the things I don't know how to say out loud.

The video choice for this is solely based on title. 






No comments:

Post a Comment