Friday, September 27, 2013

Kiersten White's "The Chaos of Stars"


From Goodreads:

Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.

Gorgeous cover and a fun twist - Egyptian mythology! I did a report on Egyptian mythology in 5th grade and I'll never forget how awesome it all was. I was really excited to read this book - I really love Kiersten's "Mind Games" (someone send me an ARC of "Perfect Lies," please? pretty please? I'll mail you cookies!) and again, you know, pretty cover! 

The first two chapters of this book scared me. They were sort of mythology heavy and I wasn't sure that the book was what I wanted. But Kiersten is super nice so I kept reading - really, I kept reading because she's nice! And it was worth it. This is a cute, fun, original read, and I'm really glad I hung in. Also, if you're worried, the mythology stuff can sort of be pushed aside so you can enjoy the story without that.

I'm picking one quote, but it's one of my favorites.

He laughs, throwing back his head like the force of mirth is too much for his neck to handle. It is an avalanche of a laugh, a zephyr wind that sweeps me back with its warm surprise, and I realize too late I am smiling and laughing with him.

Okay, the first video is for Isadora early in the book, and the second video is for later.







No comments:

Post a Comment