Monday, September 16, 2013

Maggie Stiefvater's "The Dream Thieves"




I admit it, I stalked NetGalley for a little while in the hopes of getting an ARC of this book because I just didn't want to wait a moment longer. The first book in this series (there will be four books), The Raven Boys, started a little slow for me but by the end I was hooked and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. 

Before I read the ARC of The Dream Thieves (book 2), I went looking online for a good summary of what happened in the book, since I read The Raven Boys in January (2013). Luckily I found a great chapter by chapter summary! This is definitely one of those series that I'm going to have to read from start to finish whenever the fourth and final book comes out, to make sure I get everything I can out of the series.

This is a long book and, like the first, it takes awhile to get going but then it's pretty amazing. It's a good thing that this was a digital arc, or else my highlighter would have run out of ink after I highlighted all the great parts and lines (57 of them!!). Maggie Stiefvater is an amazing writer. She creates complex and likable characters who live in a beautiful, richly detailed world. Also, Blue and I are about the same height, so let's hear it for short girls.

Some of the many quotes I love:

"The ringtone was an Iglu & Hartly song that the gray man knew but couldn't condone." (I hope it wasn't this one, which I kind of like.)

"Maybe the potential you bring out in other people is your something more."

"If you never saw the stars, candles were enough."

"For a brief moment, he imagined life as Gansey must live it. The car keys in his pocket. The brand new shoes on his feet. The careless glance at the monthly bills. They couldn't hurt Gansey. Nothing could hurt him; people who said money couldn't buy everything hadn't seen anyone as rich as the Aglionby boys. They were untouchable, immune to life's troubles. Only death couldn't be swiped away by a credit card."

"Sometimes, Ronan thought Adam was so used to the right way being painful that he doubted any path that didn't come with agony."

"All the whimsy of Dollar City was ruined."

"Blue was a fanciful but sensible thing, like a platypus, or one of those sandwiches that had been cut into circles for a fancy tea party."

Okay, I have to stop. Those are only some of the lines I loved in the first 1/3 of the book!! If you liked The Raven Boys, this is a must read. It takes awhile to build, but hang in there, because it's so worth it. 

There are some amazing special things offered with the purchase of this book, just look here to see what your options are.

Also, I generally don't like fairy/faerie/faery books, but Maggie's Books of Faeries books are a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment