Friday, October 11, 2013

Huntley Fitzpatrick's "My Life Next Door"



THIS BOOK. I love it. I saw the cover, knew I had to read it, and was really excited when my library actually had a copy. THIS BOOK! It's so good - I'm buying my own copy. I told my friend Becca to read it - she loves it too! That's good, that means I can keep her as a friend, because I LOVE THIS BOOK. It probably helps that the author, Huntley Fitzpatrick, is a good find New England woman like myself, and that this book is based in Connecticut, the state of my birth.

From Goodreads:

"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.

The thing about books I really love is that sometimes my words feel inadequate. I can tell you that I love this book, that Jase is my new favorite book boyfriend (along with Levi from "Fangirl," of course), that I wish I knew these people, that I want them in my life, but that doesn't really convey the awesomeness of this book. It is beautiful and touching and heart warming and then something bad happens (a total Jodi Meadows moment for me in that "bad things happen") and I thought I knew what was coming. I didn't. I almost spoiled the book for Becca before she even read it. (Also, you should go read her review - she is more specific than my random rantings of love.)

Okay, I'll focus on my new book boyfriend, Jase, who is, quite possibly, the perfect guy. He just sort of appears in Samantha's life one day and he fully integrates her into his life, his family. His family is big, warm, crazy, and is everything her family isn't. He's perfect, they're all perfect. 

Quote time!

The Garrets were my bedtime story, long before I ever thought I'd be part of the story myself.

"It's a good idea to keep your eye on the guys who think they know the one true path," Jase says reflectively. "They might just mow you down if you're in their way."

Jase nods slowly, looking at me. Everything he does seems so thought-out and purposeful. I'm used to boys just sort of hurling themselves through life, I guess.

"You seem," Jase observes, "to know a lot of annoying people. I'm just me, Samantha."






No comments:

Post a Comment