Sunday, October 20, 2013

Katie McGarry's "Crash Into You"


The newest addition to Katie McGarry's Pushing the Limit series is, quite frankly, the best yet. This book, Crash Into You, is available on November 26, 2013.

I read the 2nd book in the series, Dare You To, when I received it as an ARC. At the time I didn't realize it was the 2nd in a series, but luckily reading them out of order didn't mess me up in any way, though reading them all in order would clearly be best, in the interest of character building, and more time to love the characters. 

I loved Dare You To (DYT) and followed up by reading Pushing the Limits (PTL) and then the novella Crossing the Line (CTL), all of which I loved. Because of my love of the first 2 books and the novella, I was really excited for Crash Into You (CIY). I was so anxious for CIY that as soon as I saw it on NetGalley, I requested it and then crossed my fingers and luckily, Harlequin Teen approved me (hurray!). Of course I'll be buying my own print copy any day now (so I can snuggle with Isaiah in bed - don't tell my husband, okay?;). 

From Goodreads:

From acclaimed author Katie McGarry comes an explosive new tale of a good girl with a reckless streak, a street-smart guy with nothing to lose, and a romance forged in the fast lane 

The girl with straight As, designer clothes and the perfect life-that's who people expect Rachel Young to be. So the private-school junior keeps secrets from her wealthy parents and overbearing brothers...and she's just added two more to the list. One involves racing strangers down dark country roads in her Mustang GT. The other? Seventeen-year-old Isaiah Walker-a guy she has no business even talking to. But when the foster kid with the tattoos and intense gray eyes comes to her rescue, she can't get him out of her mind. 

Isaiah has secrets, too. About where he lives, and how he really feels about Rachel. The last thing he needs is to get tangled up with a rich girl who wants to slum it on the south side for kicks-no matter how angelic she might look. 

But when their shared love of street racing puts both their lives in jeopardy, they have six weeks to come up with a way out. Six weeks to discover just how far they'll go to save each other.

In CIY we get to learn more about the wonderful Isaiah, the tough guy who's trying to recover from so much heartbreak, including the girl he thought he loved choosing another (see DYT). Because of this, he's closed himself off a little more than before, saying "I gave the girl everything inside of me and she still walked" (sniff!). 

On that note, here's Bastille's "These Streets," because Isaiah feels like he has to leave some important things behind, now that Beth has left him. A snippet from the lyrics:

These streets are yours, you can keep themIn my mind it's like you haunt themAnd passing through I think I see youIn the shapes of other women


So Isaiah. Poor beautiful, tortured Isaiah. Feeling all alone in the world. Acting like the tough guy even though he's hurting inside. He runs into Rachel Young (book #4 is about her brother, West), who's trying to escape her woes by racing away from them. They meet at a drag race! Stuff happens. He tries to stay away so the bad guy doesn't find her, it doesn't work. They come to each other's rescue! Nice. This book, like Ms. McGarry's other books, illustrates the importance of not judging a book by it's cover (but only when it comes to people, because, quite frankly, I believe in judging a book by it's cover when it comes to books, but her books pass this test as well with the pretty people on the covers), and of letting other people in to help you.

Cons - man, I hate at least 1/2 of Rachel's family - but that's sort of the point - no one ever really has it all, even if it looks like they do. Also, the part of the book I won't mention. 


For a brief startling few seconds, his forever-roaming gray eyes meet mine and I see it - seventeen. Within them is a small shred of the same vulnerability that consumes and strangles me.


Maybe her life is more complicated than I thought.


Rachel is the opposite of Beth with her brilliant smile and joyous laughter. A beam of light. Even when I was into her, Beth was nothing but darkness. 
And the fabulous Erik Hassle's "Are You Leaving," for Isaiah's insecure side.



And a more obvious song choice, for those of us who were teens in the 90s.


Go, read, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment