Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sabrina Elkins' "Stir Me Up"



From Goodreads:

Cami Broussard has her future all figured out. She'll finish her senior year of high school, then go to work full-time as an apprentice chef in her father's French restaurant, alongside her boyfriend, Luke. But then twenty-year-old ex-Marine Julian Wyatt comes to live with Cami's family while recovering from serious injuries. And suddenly Cami finds herself questioning everything she thought she wanted.

Julian's all attitude, challenges and intense green-brown eyes. But beneath that abrasive exterior is a man who just might be as lost as Cami's starting to feel. And Cami can't stop thinking about him. Talking to him. Wanting to kiss him. He's got her seriously stirred up. Her senior year has just gotten a lot more complicated….


I admit it, I wanted to read this book because Pepe (and is that Sztella?) is on the cover. Blame Jennifer Armentrout. :) I received a digital copy of this book to review from NetGalley.

This book is a perfectly acceptable quick read. However, as a vegan, I feel compelled to state that this book mentions two of the cruelest animal based foods, veal and foie gras. If I'd known that ahead of time, that probably would have been enough for me to avoid it. That may seem silly, but I have hundreds of books on my TBR list, there's no need to waste time reading something that promotes cruelty. 

That being said, this book was definitely interesting enough to make me keep reading - I've read a few books lately that can't even compel me to finish them, so this is a definite plus. The characters were interesting and original and the story was good as well. Unfortunately, there are a few small quirks in the beginning 1/3 to 1/2 of the book that could have been fixed with editing - some of the scene transitions aren't really there and it's hard to figure out what just happened. There are also a few spots where I feel like some extra detail would be helpful.

So, if you aren't a vegan and you need a quick read, go for it!



No comments:

Post a Comment