Saturday, December 7, 2013

Brigid Kemmerer's "Secret" + Anberlin's "Unwinding Cable Car"






January 28, 2014



From Goodreads:

Nick Merrick is stretched to the breaking point.

Keep his grades sky-high or he’ll never escape his hometown.
Keep his brother’s business going or the Merricks will be out on the street.
Keep the secret of where he’s going in the evenings from his own twin—-or he’ll lose his family.

Keep his mind off the hot, self-assured dancer who’s supposed to be his “girlfriend’s” partner.

Of course there’s also the homicidal freak Quinn has taken to hanging around, and the Elemental Guide counting the hours until he can try again to kill the Merrick brothers.

There’s a storm coming. From all sides. And then some.

Nick Merrick, can you keep it together?


This book. It's amazing, and definitely the best book in the series (so far anyway!). It's heartfelt and stressful and sweet and upsetting. There were times I wanted to hug my kindle, and times I covered my face because I couldn't bear to watch. I bookmarked and highlighted the heck out of the digital copy and I'm definitely leaving it on my wishlist so someone can buy me a print copy I can snuggle with (I don't actually snuggle books, but you know that feeling like you want to snuggle a book, right?).

In this book we learn about the fallout from what happens in "Breathless" (I won't give details in case you're behind) and it's a big, deep, emotional roller coaster. We learn that bad guys aren't always bad and good guys aren't always good.

I'm really afraid that most people haven't read the Elemental series so I'm keeping it vague, but get on it people. It's really great. There's even an Afterword that is great and touching and true, and it made me cry.

The downside to having read this ARC? I have that much longer to wait before the next book. Argh! 

Quotes:

When you know what you want, I'll be right here. Nick knew what he wanted, all right. He just wasn't sure he wanted to want it.

"People surprise you sometimes. Especially when you give them a chance."

Opening those letters would force him to make a choice. A decision about where his life was going. A decision about staying or leaving.

"You know what sucks about sorry? It's the worst word in the world. Because it always happens after you fuck up something good."

"I think that's part of the problem," he said, killing the heat on the stove. "You're so damn worried about what everyone else wants. Well you know what, Nick? You're going to disappoint people sometimes. You just are. And you know what else? They're either going to get over it or they're not. If they don't, it sucks. But it's not going to kill them, and it's sure not going to kill you." 


No comments:

Post a Comment