Saturday, December 7, 2013

Leigh Bardugo's "Siege & Storm" + MB20



From Goodreads:

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

This book. Wow. I just finished it, and I chose a song, so I'm starting this post now (11/17/13 at 2:20pm EST) but I have to digest and work on NaNoWriMo, so I'll be back. 

Well, whoops. Three weeks since I finished the book and started this post (but at least I won NaNoWriMo, right?) and of course I have lost all my thoughts and returned the book to the library. 

If you liked Shadow & Bone, you'll be happy to hear that I think Siege & Storm is EVEN BETTER. I know, you're surprised - how can that be? Well, more Mal. Sturmhond. Power hungry Alina (you might want to punch her - don't say I didn't warn you)! A return of the Pug! It's all pretty great.

Quotes! The first quote are wise words from Sturmhond:

"Anything worth doing always starts as a bad idea."

His tone was light, but when his lips met mine, there was nothing playful in his kiss. He tasted of heat and newly ripe pears from the Duke's garden. I sensed hunger in the hard slant of his mouth, an unfamiliar edge to his need that sent restless sparks burning through me.

We both knew the hard truth. We do our best. We try. And usually, it makes no difference at all.



Matchbox Twenty - "Bent" lyrics

If I fall along the way
Pick me up and dust me off
And if I get too tired to make it
Be my breath so I can walk

If I need some other love, then
Give me more than I can stand
And when my smile gets old and faded
Wait around I'll smile again

Shouldn't be so complicated
Just hold me and then
Oh, just hold me again

Can you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put back together
Keep breaking me in
And this is how we will end
With you and me bent

If I couldn't sleep, could you sleep?
Could you paint me better off?
Could you sympathize with my needs?
I know you think I need a lot

I started out clean but I'm jaded
Just phoning it in
Oh, just breaking the skin

Can you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put back together
Keep breaking me in
And this is how we will end
With you and me bent

Start bending me, it's never enough
As I feel all your pieces
Start bending me, keep bending me
Oh, until I'm completely broken in

Shouldn't be so complicated
Just touch me and then
Oh, just touch me again

Can you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put back together
Keep breaking me in
And this is how we will end
With you and me will let them
Without understanding
Here I go there again

Can you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put back together
Yeah, you're breaking me in
And this is how we will end
With you and me bent

No comments:

Post a Comment