Sunday, December 8, 2013

Leila Sales' "This Song Will Save Your Life" + Bastille's "Of the Night"

"It's not worth it. Sure, high school sucks sometimes. Some people will mess with you, whenever they want, and for no reason except that they can. But hurting yourself is giving those people all the power, and they don't deserve it. Why would they deserve to have control over your life? Because they're cool? Because they're pretty? That's completely illogical."

That line is from later in the book, but I think it's a pretty darned important line. Not just for teenagers and kids, but for anyone who suffers verbal abuse from anyone they know. Peers, family, whatever. Anyone who tries to take power from you in any way, especially through any form of abuse, is weak and horrible, and you don't have to let them take anything away from you. You are better than they are. 




From Goodreads:

Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.


This is a pretty great book about the difficulties of fitting in and finding your place in the world, difficulties I understand all too well. Part of this book was actually kind of rough for me, just because it reminded me of some of my troubles. It can be so hard to be a kid, especially if you're at all different. 

After I finished this book, I actually went back and looked at my high school yearbook, and I was looking at the "popular" kids, and do you know what I realized? They weren't that special. They weren't extra interesting or attractive, and they generally weren't nice people. I don't know if they were cruel people particularly (save for the one who verbally abused and then slapped me, or the multitudes of kids who verbally assaulted me), they just didn't think of anyone other than themselves. 

Some of my favorite quotes. This book has lessons to impart. 

Of course, as always, there is an arbitrary, invisible fence in place. You can't see it, but it will always keep you out. It will always encircle happiness and keep you out. 

I thought, for the zillionth time, about what a nice girl Amelia was. She was a nice girl with a nice life, so people were nice to her. In Amelia's world, nobody ever ignores you or glares at you just for kicks. 

You'd think that this might make me cool, since music is supposedly cool, but it doesn't work like that. It turns out that caring a lot about anything is, by definition, uncool, and it doesn't matter if that thing is music or Star Wars or oil refineries. 

And my favorite . . .

"I don't believe that anyone who is a legitimately interesting person can be popular as a teenager," Mel went on. "Or ever, maybe. Popularity rewards the uninteresting." 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Bastille!
    I have this book but I haven't read it yet, but now I'm going to have to move it up on the TBR pile! I can see myself having a rough time with parts of it, too, since I was picked on and bullied in middle school and high school and had some rough times then. Stupid popular people. What makes them popular, anyway? They're mean and have a lot of money? Humph. I'll take kindness over that any day! Okay, I'll stop now.
    Great review, Sarah, and I love how you pair songs with books!
    And BTW, if you wanted to, you could try to go to BEA as a blogger. You DO have a book blog and you could always try it! I mean, it wouldn't be as cheap as the one day Power Reader pass, but if you wanted to go for more days you could try to get a pass as a blogger! :) Hope to see you there, either way!

    ReplyDelete