Saturday, December 21, 2013

Mindy McGinnis' "Not A Drop To Drink"


From Goodreads:

Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.

Man this book with the feels. The Epic Reads team pimped this book so well that I knew I had to give it a try, but the truth is there's some dystopian stuff I can't handle - anything that wanders too close to the realm of possibility isn't for me - it just freaks me out too much. As an environmentalist and a vegan, a world without enough clean water is near the top of my future fears. I can't adequately express how much I love water. Water is the best. A world where I can't have a hot shower every day? Not a world for me. 

And yet, this book still manages to be a lot of what I love in YA books - there's hope and change and character growth, and realizing that life has more to offer you than you can imagine. I sort of knew what was coming, but I didn't know about the twist and turns or the final destination.

I'd like to compare part of the book to something else, but that would be spoiler-y. I'll just say that Mindy did it right. 

And a quote!

"Her affection and gratitude were too subtle and burned away under the harsh light of day. But in the familiar darkness of the basement she let her unspoken feelings pour out of her like water and hoped that somehow the flow would reach him while he slept, and he would know without her having to say."


No comments:

Post a Comment