Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Aimee Carter's "Pawn" + Chvrches "Lies (Tourist Remix)"

I received a digital ARC of this book from NetGalley for review.

I started this book, and then I stopped. And then I started again, and thought I saw where it was going so I stopped. I am pretty good at telling where most books are going and how they're going to get there, but this book, with it's twists and turns, kept me guessing. With the exception of one time, every time I thought I knew where this book was going, I was wrong. Thankfully, because in my head, this book wasn't going anywhere original or good, but I was so wrong.




From Goodreads:


YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING. 

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.



So, this book. It's unexpected and it definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's about love and sacrifice and hope and finding your place. Quotes!


"If I were a I, we probably never would have met in the first place.""Doesn't matter," he murmured, running his fingers through my hair. "I would know something was missing. I would know my life was pointless, even if I never understood why. Even if we'd never met, even if you never existed, I would still love you beyond all reason for the rest of my life."


But the world is out there, and it understands that the illusion of knowledge and freedom is not the same as the real thing.


"Don't apologize," he said, and he brushed his fingers against my cheekbone, an inch from my eye. "I see you now."

As far as small details are concerned, one of the characters is named Lennox, and he goes by Knox, and I love those names together. Loooove. There's another guy, named Benjy, and he's awesome two. Twice the awesome.




No comments:

Post a Comment