Monday, January 6, 2014

Tracey Martin's "Another Little Piece of My Heart" + Kodaline/Fix8's "Brand New Day"

When I first heard about this book, I wasn't sure I would suggest the ARC. As a big fan of Robin Benway's "Audrey, Wait!," I thought this book was too similar to be worth a read.

I was wrong. 

The only problem with this book is my problem - there are some books that I love, but I can't really adequately express my feels. This is one of those books, so you'll just have to read my ramblings and try it yourself.





From Goodreads:

What if your devastating break-up became this summer’s hit single? In this rock-and-roll retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, music can either bring you together or tear you apart.

At her dying mother’s request, Claire dumps Jared, the only boy she’s ever loved. Left with a broken family and a broken heart, Claire is furious when she discovers that her biggest regret became Jared’s big break. While Jared is catapulted into rock-star status, another piece of Claire’s heart crumbles every time his song plays on the radio.

The summer after her senior year, it’s been months since the big break-up, and Claire is just trying to keep her head down and make it through a tense trip to the beach with her family. But when Jared shows up, and old feelings reignite, can Claire and Jared let go of the past? Or will they be stuck singing the same old refrain?

I really loved this book, and not just because it takes place near the fabulousness that is Portsmouth, NH, and it isn't just because sometimes I felt like Tracey was in my brain ("Lobster is just one of the many things in life I don't get the hype about." - when I was a little kid, years before I went vegan, my parents were always trying to get me to like lobster, and I never liked it, and I never understood why they wanted their little kid to like something so expensive). 

I love Claire. Her family is . . . not one you would want. But she hangs tight to her ideals and who she wants to be, and she just keeps working at what she wants. As a teenager, I wasn't even sure who I wanted to be - I definitely didn't have the wherewithal to go for it, whatever my it was. 

And Jared. He's lovely, he really is. He's kind and determined and real and grateful, even after he becomes a big star. 

I guess what I'm saying is that my favorite thing about this book is that the two main characters, teenagers, who could be lost and broken, are focused and determined and strong. I envy that. 

Quotes!

It's the shock of hearing something you braced yourself for, and yet, as it turns out, weren't prepared to deal with in any way. It's the pain of isolation. And it's the pressure of knowing that no matter how badly you want to beat something into a bloody pulp, you can't.

Maybe all my hate and anger have been my sword and my shield, an attempt to protect myself, not from Jared's insults, but from the feelings I never managed to kill.

Okay. I'm stopping my rambling now. I'm going to go find a song to go with this post, and then you can read the post and go read the book. 




WAIT. I just realized it's a kindle book and it's only $2.51 and that is amazing and so worth it. I guess this means I can't buy a print copy like I wanted :(

No comments:

Post a Comment