Saturday, March 15, 2014

Alyssa B. Sheinmel's "Second Star" + The Drums "Let's Go Surfing"

Alyssa B. Sheinmel's "Second Star"

Release Date: May 13, 2014


From Goodreads:

A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward Pete's nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas. Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete. A radical reinvention of a classic, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up--and the troubled beauty trapped between them.

I went back and forth before I requested this book from NetGalley. I knew it was a Peter Pan adaptation, and I wasn't at all sure if that was a good idea or an awful idea. I am relieved to say that it was a good idea.

I've read a few reviews for this book that really make me wonder what people expect from adaptations, and I wonder about how fanatical a person is about the original and how that relates to their expectations. So many people seem to expect that in an adaptation, an author will stay true to the letter of the story as strictly as possible. I don't want that. I like that this book takes the essences of the story and molds them into something new. Anyway.

I liked this book. It was well written, original, and touched on the points of Peter Pan without clinging to it like a desperate lifeline. It has Wendy, her brothers, Peter Pan and Hook (but without a hook, of course), Tinkerbell, and the Lost Boys. 

I recommend it.





No comments:

Post a Comment