Friday, April 25, 2014

Jennifer E. Smith's "The Geography of You and Me" + I Go Old School Cartoon Music

Jennifer E. Smith's "The Geography of You and Me"


Because I really liked The Statistical Probability of First Sight (aka Statistical) and loved This is What Happy Looks Like (aka Happy), this book is one of the books I decided not only to buy this year (I am a library girl - I firmly believe in reading a library copy and then buying a book only if I really love it and want to reread it someday - there's just no point in buying a ton of books you may never reread) but to pre-order a copy. In case you didn't know, I've recently learned that pre-ordering a book from an author is extra helpful for that author because then their publishers know there's a demand for their stuff.

So, yes, I pre-ordered the heck out of this book. As it's release date got closer, and then passed (I had my copy but was in the middle of two books when it came) I started noticing that a lot of people didn't really love it. This freaked me out until I realized that a lot of people - those same people - didn't love Happy! Once I realized this, I relaxed, because I love the heck out of Happy. 

Based on my recollections of Statistical, I'm going to say that I liked Geography more than that one but less than Happy. I love that it takes these two people and shows how they live life apart, evolve, grow - towards or apart from one another, I won't say. 

From Goodreads:

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.

Quote! I'm only picking one this time, though there were a lot to choose from. I really liked this one and to me it sort of encapsulated the whole book somehow. It's about why Owen prefers sending postcards to e-mails.

With those, there was still time to change your mind: just after putting the pen down, or on the way to the mailbox, or at any point in between. But there was nothing to be done about the e-mail. With one click, it had gone flying across the miles, straight to Lucy's computer, and there was no getting it back.

Oh, okay, one more snippet of something.

they were heavy with things unspoken: questions without answers and promises without assurances

Normally, I'd stick a nice alt-rock or alt-pop or 90s song here, but this one got stuck in my head and insisted on staying.





No comments:

Post a Comment