Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Stacey Kade's "The Rules" & "The Hunt" + Lovelife's "Dying to Start Again"

Like I sometimes do, I requested a sequel on NetGalley without realizing it was a sequel and without reading the original first (like I read a novella in the middle of Brigid Kemmerer's awesome Elementals series, but then realized I had to read the whole series). This happened a couple of months ago when I got approved for a digital ARC of Stacey Kade's "The Hunt" without realizing it was the 2nd book in a trilogy I hadn't started. Luckily, my library responded to the purchase request I submitted for The Hunt and bought it!

Stacey Kade's "Project Paper Doll: The Rules"

From Goodreads:

1. Never trust anyone.

2. Remember they are always searching.

3. Don’t get involved.

4. Keep your head down.

5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…

Ariane is an alien-human hybrid who does everything she can to stay on the fringes of high school life, always afraid of being recaptured by the lab that created her. While Ariane generally stays quiet and on the fringes, the part of her that was abused as a child won't let her stay silent when someone is being bullied. When that someone is Ariane's only friend, she takes action to help her friend out. 

I really enjoyed this book and it's two main characters - they were both strong and caring despite being wounded and delicate, and they had their own special depth.

"Only someone living inside the privileged circle would feel quite so comfortable saying that. You have the option to be bored, to not care, instead of dreading every day. It's the powerful versus the powerless, and guess which side you're on."

The danger with pretending is taht if you do it well enough, it starts to feel real.

And some part of me - soft, hopeful, human - had died in that moment.

I looked down at my hands, remembering the sensation of Ariane's hand in mine. Light, tentative but trusting. And suddenly I felt smaller and less important than ever. 


Stacey Kade's "Project Paper Doll: The Hunt"

From Goodreads:

Ariane Tucker has finally escaped GTX, the research facility that created her. While on the run, Zane Bradshaw is the only person she can trust. He knows who-and what-she is and still wants to be part of her life. 

But accepting Zane's help means putting him in danger.

Dr. Jacobs, head of GTX, is not the only one hunting for Ariane. Two rival corporations have their sights set on taking down their competition. Permanently. To protect Zane and herself, Ariane needs allies. She needs the other hybrids. The hybrids who are way more alien and a lot less human. Can Ariane win them over before they turn on her? Or will she be forced to choose sides, to decide who lives and who dies?

This book was almost completely different from the first book, which I really enjoyed. It was nice to go on a completely different ride with these two characters I liked and enjoyed spending time with (most of the time; ) I won't say more than that since it just came out yesterday, but I recommend giving this series a try.

It's hard to know you'll never be enough just because you're not someone else.

She was the first person who'd really seemed to like me for who I was, not for who I could be or should have been.

Ms. Kade is currently at work on the third and final book in this series, and I can't wait to read it! 








No comments:

Post a Comment