Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tim Tharp's "The Spectacular Now" + Empire of the Sun's "Alive"

Tim Tharp's "The Spectacular Now"


From Goodreads:

So, my girlfriend, Cassidy, is threatening to kick me to the curb again, my best friend suddenly wants to put the brakes on our lives of fabulous fun, my mom and big sister are plotting a future in which I turn into an atomic vampire, and my dad, well, my dad is a big fat question mark that I’m not sure I want the answer to. 

Some people would let a senior year like this get them down. Not me. I’m Sutter Keely, master of the party. But don’t mistake a midnight philosopher like me for nothing more than a shallow party boy. Just ask Aimee, the new girl in my life. She saw the depth in the Sutterman from that first moment when she found me passed out on the front lawn. Okay, so she’s a social disaster, but that’s where I come in. 

Yes, life is weird, but I embrace the weird. Let everyone else go marching off into their great shining futures if they want. Me, I’ve always been more than content to tip my whisky bottle and take a ride straight into the heart of the spectacular now.


This book! When I started it I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it grew on me really quickly. I didn't know this book existed until I saw a trailer for the movie, and how could I not try a YA book connected to a Shailene Woodley movie? I had to do it.

Sutter is a supremely screwed up and incredibly likable guy, and I'm pretty sure I knew at least one Sutter in high school. He is an optimist, no matter what happens. He is lost, but he sees the beauty in everything around him. He likes girls, all girls, regardless of size or shape. 

I really recommend giving this book a try.

Quotes:

I'm going to grab hold of this night and crack it open, eat the fruit right out of the middle, and throw away the rind.

Besides, it doesn't matter if it's real. It never does with dreams. They aren't anything anyway but lifesavers to cling to so you don't drown. Life is an ocean, and everyone's hanging on to some kind of dream to keep afloat.

We're not the Faster-than-the-Speed-of-Light Generation anymore. We're not even the Next-New-Thing Generation. We're the Soon-to-be-Obsolete Kids, and we've crowded in here to hide from the future and the past. We know what's up - the future looms straight ahead like a black wrought-iron gate and the past is charging after us like a badass Doberman, only this one doesn't have any letup in him.


No comments:

Post a Comment