Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Dahlia Adler's LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT Excerpt!

When I first noticed Dahlia Adler's tweets, I thought "self, I like this person. She's wise and snarky, and these are both great things." 

When I met her at the Chapter by Chapter Book Rave in NY in September, I was even more sure I liked her.

And when I read an ARC of her upcoming NA, LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT, I was pretty sure I loved Dahlia.


Dahlia Adler's LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT (Radleigh University #1)
Release Date: December 9, 2014

From Goodreads

Lizzie Brandt was valedictorian of her high school class, but at Radleigh University, all she's acing are partying and hooking up with the wrong guys. But all that changes when her parents are killed in a tragic accident, making her guardian to her two younger brothers. To keep them out of foster care, she'll have to fix up her image, her life, and her GPA—fast. Too bad the only person on campus she can go to for help is her humorless, pedantic Byzantine History TA, Connor Lawson, who isn't exactly Lizzie's biggest fan.

But Connor surprises her. Not only is he a great tutor, but he’s also a pretty great babysitter. And chauffeur. And listener. And he understands exactly what it’s like to be on your own before you're ready. Before long, Lizzie realizes having a responsible-adult type around has its perks... and that she'd like to do some rather irresponsible (but considerably adult) things with him as well. Good thing he's not the kind of guy who'd ever reciprocate.

Until he does.

Until they turn into far more than teacher and student.

Until the relationship that helped put their lives back together threatens everything they both have left.
 

THIS BOOK, you guys. I love it. I love it a lot. Maybe you've been disappointed by NA before (we all have). It's okay. Trust me. Read this. 


Here's your excerpt! It's one of my top five favorite parts of the book. 


“What happens at night?” I demand. “What happens that makes you forget that you actually enjoy hanging out with me? How is it that I left that first kiss thinking, ‘Man, I can’t wait to take this further with Connor tomorrow,’ and you left it thinking, ‘This is a terrible thing that can never happen again’? What happens at night that erases everything that happened that day?”

“Elizabeth—”

Tell me, Connor. I can’t deal with any other men on this campus screwing with me. If this is all in my head, you need to be man enough to tell me that. If you’re coming back here to somebody else, you need to be man enough to tell me that. Now answer the fucking question.”

“What happens at night?” he repeats, and I nod. He exhales sharply, raking a hand through dark-brown hair that’s grown just this side of unruly before scrubbing it over his scruffy jaw. “What happens is that I come back here, and I’m lonely, and then, inevitably, I think of you. What you probably think of the outfit I wore that day. How genuinely Max makes you laugh. The glimmer of excitement you get in your eyes when an idea clicks. The way you nibble on the earpiece of your glasses when you’re writing. It makes me feel like I see what the old you must’ve looked like.”

My stomach clenches at his words, but before I can say anything, he marches onward, an edge of steel creeping into his tone.

“Then I think of that very first kiss, and how you tasted like grape lollipop. How soft the skin is on your lower back. I think of the way you sigh when I suck your neck in just the right place. The infuriatingly sexy whimper-moan thing you make when I bite your lip. That was bad enough. Now, thanks to my incredible stupidity last week, I jerk off while thinking about how sweet you taste. Every. Fucking. Night.”

I all but collapse against his doorpost as I try to take it all in, this awful night suddenly doing a complete one-eighty. “Holy crap, Connor. You…really like me.” There are a million hummingbirds in my insides right now, doing some sort of awkward mating dance. 

He raises an eyebrow, his face a neon “Are you an idiot?” sign. “You say that like you had no idea. I’ve been telling you that every day.”

“No, you haven’t.” I’m sure of this fact. I burn with certainty. Because it’s what I’ve been dying to know, and if he’d given me even an inch, I would’ve leapt on it like a jungle cat. “All you ever say is ‘we can’t do this.’”

He laughs. It’s mirthless. “Why do you think it matters so much to me that we stop? You think I’m just scared of getting caught? At the risk of sounding like a dick, trust me when I say that if all I wanted was for us to fuck each other’s brains out for a night, I would’ve brought you back here the second you kissed me in my office, and we would’ve gotten away with it. I don’t push you away because I’m afraid of getting caught one night.”

He sounds so utterly unlike himself, caustic and coarse, and for the first time, my own tipsy brain processes that I’m not the only one who’s had more than one drink tonight.

“The problem is, I don’t want just one night. And I don’t think you do either. Do you?”


I know, RIGHT? Go pre-order it on Amazon.

2 comments: